Friday, May 04, 2007

The Love Sandwich + "Choice"

Most people are familiar with the basic tenets of Love through the Bible. This, unfortunately, is not enough. What is being described there is the "ideal" sense of the word. Do not go around looking for Love as it is being portrayed in the Bible because this, being ideal, is unachievable by us humans.

Although this may be a little hard for romantics, I say that Love is not a feeling but a choice.

Love is commitment.

It is true that Love is a feeling, but that only holds true in the early stage of Loving. I think that Love as feeling is like turning the ignition key to an automobile. You need it to be motivated to be in a relationship, while Love as a choice is the gas which keeps the engine burning. It is better to hear "I do not want to live without you" than "I could not live without you" because not being able to live because of a person only proves that you stay in a relationship because you do not have much choice since you do not want to go through the pain of letting go (which also gives a hint of selfishness). This shows a very emotional and instinctive decision in which we really do not choose consciously. On the other hand, it is truly romantic that each and every single waking day of your life, where you have a choice to leave or stay in a relationship, choose the latter consciously especially when the time of crisis comes.

I am with my girlfriend because each and every single waking day of my life, knowing that I can take my life away any minute and retreat from this world but chooses otherwise, I choose to be with her given that I have the capacity to end the relationship as much as she does in an instant, but chooses to be with her instead.

I am recommitting myself to the Lord, my family, friends, and Jane, my dearest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home